Corn Flat-Bread (Tortilla)
1. Combine the cornmeal and cold water in a
2. Stir the cornmeal mixture into the
boiling salted water in a saucepan over full heat. Stir until the mixture
is thick, drawing away from the sides of the pan.
3. Remove the thickened mixture from the
heat and place it in a bowl.
4. Add the oil and mix thoroughly. Stir in
the wholemeal flour to make a soft dough and knead on a lightly floured
board until smooth (about 10 minutes), adding more flour if necessary.
5. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions
and shape them into balls. Flatten the balls and roll them out to 0.125 cm
6. Heat an un-oiled, heavy cast iron pan over moderate heat and, one at a time, bake the tortillas, flipping them over several times until they are lightly golden on both sides. Cool. Serve as suggested above.